Tuesday, October 28

Linden Labs: Trick, not Treat

All of the islands are abuzz about the latest outrage of Linden Labs. At the beginning of the new year, the price for purchase and maintenance of Open Sims will be increased 66%. This puts many of the themed communities at risk. Even if there weren't a global financial crisis outside the Grid, this would still be a horrendous development! Doctor Obolensky may lose Skull Island. The Seneschelf broods over the fate of Winterfell. Not even the greenspaces of Caledon are immune. (Don't even ask me how this affects the Belhaven project!)

People were abusing the Open Sims and using them as Normal Sims. This is to be expected and dealt with accordingly, but it should not be a reason to put all of the conscientious sim owners into hardship!

The unrolling of the the Nautilus Continent at the same time is insult to injury. Already LL was starting to be seen as competition to the themed sims before this shocker! This may be the best thing to happen for the OpenSource Grid...

I am not a sim owner, and far from a place where I am in the position to become one, but I do rent from the Guvna. If anything, I'll have to put my plans to re-establish myself in Steelhead on hold and prepare for the inevitable rent increase on Regency Hospital to help preserve the greater holdings of the Independent State.

If I were a Spark of a more malevolent nature...and not the slightest bit concerned about that lost explorer Magellan, I'd build a device to sink Nautilus back into the sea!

*fidgets with the pentacle amulet in his hand*

Hmmm....

2 comments:

Fuzzball Ortega said...

I've been to Nautilus. Not overly impressed with it, but that's just my opinion. I could've thought of half a dozen other themes that they could've used, that wouldn't be direct competition with Caledon, New Babbage, Antiquity, or Steelhead City, and they could have more people interested.

As for the Open Sim situation....I think everyone should take Desmond's attitude on it. Wait and see what happens, they may change their minds or come up with a compromise for Open Sim owners, especially when one of said owners is one of their biggest customers.

Batou said...

I concur with Mr. Ortega. After a lenghty stroll of Nautilus, and found it not as impressive as any of the established sims. The jury is still out on how this will be resolved, but one can only hope for the best, I suppose.