Monday, November 30

A Friend in Need

This is the time of year when we go out of the way to help the unfortunate. There seem to be many more of them this year. Some of them have lost everything. Some are teetering on the brink, quietly praying for help before frustration turns to full despair.

I have never understood why so many in my country despise the government so much that they're not willing to fund it so it can, in turn, help those among us who need it most. An ounce of prevention is indeed worth a pound of cure if it stops the cascade. Lack of daycare leads to lack of employment. Lack of internet access means isolation from contact with the ones who support us and the fonts of knowledge that can help us improve our desperate situation.

Dame Kiralette Kelly made the Steamlands and Second Life proud by running this year's Relay For Life. She gave her time and energy to help us fight cancer. Now, my friends, with great humility, she asks us for our help. Were it not for a change in my fortune just today, I would be a month or two away from holding my hand out as well. I do not have much to give, but I will give.

That is what friends are for, is it not?

No comments: